This is my second time visiting Vietnam. It's funny, I though this the first time I was here, and I still think it now...I'm so glad the Father sent me to Laos.
Originally, when I wanted to go teach in Asia, I planned to go to Vietnam because the group I'm with said that was only a year commitment. Back then Mom and Dad said no. Not no like they said when I mentioned Laos (that, obviously, turned into a yes later!), but no way no.
The end.
Whatever the reason, I'm so glad that 3 years later the Father paved the way to a life in Laos. I know that there are glimpses of Him and His image in every culture. And tonight when we went to the Hue culture festival, we definitely experienced some of that amazing beauty! But, in general, the directness (that often comes across as rude or pushy to me because of my cultural background) that characterizes many Vietnamese and the incessant honking (even in a smaller city like Hue) would've been enough to send this American to the loony bin, I think, or at least back home after the first year.
Hmm... I wonder if mom and dad wish they would've said yes back then.
Haha, just kidding.
It's just sweet to see how His plan is always better. Laos is a perfect fit for me in so many ways, and I see that even more clearly in a place like Vietnam.
More to come on our trip tomorrow :)
No comments:
Post a Comment