This past weekend we had a team retreat. A time to just get away and be alone in nature, giving the heart a much-needed chance to rest and be still. If I'm really honest (and I usually am), I wasn't really excited about the idea, especially after finding out there was not going to be any A/C.
And, as usually is the case, He always surprises me with something different than I expect.
Usually it's better too. But of course.
Friday afternoon we headed out to the location - actually only about 3km from our house - and it was just so nice and rustic. Lots of bugs, but lots of great nature too.
Saturday morning we had alone time for the whole morning. Now that never happens in this country! I relaxed in a hammock and read and just spent some time being still. That also rarely happens here (except between the hours of 10pm and 6am when I'm in dream world). This was my view from the hammock....
It's been killer hot here recently (and my A/C broke last week. Go figure, right!:) But we had such a cool day - the weather was perfect for a day of being outside. And I even needed a sweater at night. It was some great team time and refreshment.
Nouy came over to watch Piper so that her parents could have some alone time as well. They had a fun time exploring the beautiful grounds together. It was Nouy's first time babysitting.
I started rereading One Thousand Gifts this week. Just realizing I need a heart adjustment. Again. That's like an hourly thing for me I think. Between her book and a few other things I got my eyes on this weekend, I have some things for my mind (and really, hopefully my heart) to chew on and reflect on over these next few weeks. Thought I'd share just a few...
Rather than fearing your inadequacy, rejoice in My abundant supply.
Hesed - when the person from whom I have a right to expect nothing gives me everything.
(Isn't that what the Father does for me every day if I open my heart to see it?)
Change takes real intentionality.
A nail is driven out by another nail. Habit is overcome by habit ~ Erasmus
Ann V added these thoughts to that quote - Because that habit of discontent can only be driven out by hammering in one iron sharper. The sleek pin of gratitude.
Started me thinking about how I am always trying to stop. Stop being an idolater. Stop getting angry. Stop making mistakes. Stop this. Stop that.
Maybe I need to start. Replace the old habit with a new one. Out with the old. In with the new.
That is so not a new concept. I realize that. And even just thinking about it tonight I feel tired. Our team leader is always encouraging me to stop striving and just rest.
What is it about us that wants to just get it right. What does that look like anyway?
I think only One Person has ever gotten it right. Every time.
I want to start resting in that.
Hmm, now if I could just learn to do that in the midst of real life. Step by step.
Speaking of habits, you're doing a great job keeping up the blogging! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the beautiful reminders He is more than sufficient. It may be a no-brainer, but I'm quick to forget.
Love you much!
Sounds wonderful! :) What a great retreat and time of rest. I've been intentional about rest lately and it's been so sweet. Can't wait to catch up more soon. Loving the daily posts!
ReplyDelete