Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chocolate Cake


Christa wrote this silly story as a parable of sorts to teach our students an important lesson. Sort of how Nathan approached King D with the story about the sheep.

I shared this story in class today and was delighted by the "light-bulb turning on" effect it had on the students once they realized the story was really not about chocolate cake.

What is the story really about? Well, stay tuned...I'll post that tomorrow. For now enjoy reading about our fictitious National Chocolate Day and see if you can guess the lesson of the story :)

April 2 is a special holiday in America. It is National Chocolate Day! This is my favorite holiday in the whole world! To celebrate Chocolate Day, Americans eat lots of chocolate food – especially chocolate cake. Please come to my house tonight to celebrate Chocolate Day with me and please eat lots of chocolate food!

Last year, some students came to my house for Chocolate Day. I had made 4 chocolate cakes for them to eat. We had lots of fun when they came to my house – we listened to music and sang songs and danced and ate cake. As soon as they came into my house, I gave them a big piece of cake to eat. They all ate the first piece. As soon as they finished the first piece, I gave them another. 

Some students ate very slowly, so I said, “Eat faster; you must eat lots of cake!”
Some students said they did not like chocolate very much – it is too sweet. I said, “It is OK, if you eat a lot it will be fun! If you do not eat it, I will be sad.”

 How wonderful! Eating chocolate cake is so fun. Some students said they were full – they did not want to eat anymore chocolate cake. But I told them, “If you do not eat chocolate cake, it is not fun! You must eat more and more!” So I gave them another piece. I watched them until they finished the piece. One student threw some chocolate cake in the garbage, but I got her a new piece – she needed to eat chocolate cake!

Soon, some people were feeling sick from eating so many pieces of chocolate cake. They wanted to sit and talk with their friends and not eat any more cake. But I said again, “If you do not eat chocolate cake, it is not fun! You must eat more and more cake! Eating cake is fun!” I gave them another piece and watched them until they finished another piece.
If anyone said they did not want to eat more cake, I was very sad. The only way to have fun on chocolate day is to eat 5 pieces of chocolate cake! If you are sick from eating chocolate, it is OK, because it is really fun! You need to make all your friends eat lots of chocolate or it is not fun!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad you're leaving for Lao New Year?
    :)

    P.S. One piece of chocolate cake sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the lesson here but I am now craving chocolate cake. Just one piece, however. :)

    ReplyDelete