This week the US Embassy is sponsoring a spelling bee for Lao university students. Several of my students (and former students) are participating so we had a practice at the house today. They've been working really hard and I realize just how difficult English is when I spend time reviewing spelling words with them. Like why is there a "w" in awry and and why does oscillation have both an "s" and a "c"? Why do both the letters "au" (as in autonomy) and "o" as in oscillation make the same sound?! Such a confusing language we speak! Especially when comparing it to a very phonetic language like Lao.
| Dua, Koy and Sone showing off the words they missed in our practice spelling bee today. |
I
take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through.
Well done! And now you wish perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough and through.
Well done! And now you wish perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware
of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead, it's said like bed, not bead-
for goodness' sake don't call it 'deed'!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(they rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth, or brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's doze and rose and lose-
Just look them up- and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart-
Come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd learned to speak it when I was five!
And yet to write it, the more I sigh,
I'll not learn how 'til the day I die.
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead, it's said like bed, not bead-
for goodness' sake don't call it 'deed'!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(they rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth, or brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's doze and rose and lose-
Just look them up- and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart-
Come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd learned to speak it when I was five!
And yet to write it, the more I sigh,
I'll not learn how 'til the day I die.
Whew! Glad I grew up learning this language!
In other news... Took Lily to the vet today for her second round of shots. Don't worry, she didn't ride in the basket when we were driving!
We had to wait a while for the vet to come back so Sone was teaching Lily tricks - here she's practicing "sabaidee" - the greeting in Lao:)
No comments:
Post a Comment