Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Run with Perseverance

This morning - 6:10 am to be exact - my sis and I loaded into the car and headed out to Winter Springs to participate in the Run for Africa 5K that she conned me into running "with" her 48 hours before leaving the country for a year. I say "with" her because she runs 3 miles in the time it takes me to run 2! But hey, I'm all about chances to bond with my favorite sister, and it was the culmination of my goal to run 100 miles before leaving, so I'm glad we did it.

Before the race...showing off our Rwanda:Hope bracelets.

Group of friends who ran the race...before picture

Silly picture


Around mile marker #2, which just happened to be mainly uphill and in direct sunlight, I wasn't feeling so thrilled to be running in this race. About that time I realized the lady right in front of me was pregnant...like really pregnant. That's great for the self-esteem...you're getting smoked by the pregnant lady, can't you go any faster!?!  As we came upon a turn though, there was a man and two little girls standing there, and one of the girls was yelling, "Go Mommy!" which I thought was so cute and sweet, and encouraged me to keep running as well, even though they weren't talking to me. A few minutes later, another lady who had obviously already finished the race cheered us on with words of encouragement - you're almost there. Keep going. The finish line is just ahead.

That was right about mile three, I guess. And as the finish line (finally!) came into view, Paul's words came to my mind, Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders...and so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on JC, the author and perfecter of what we hold onto with our hearts, who for the joy set before him endured... (this is Julia's CG* version:)

This is me saying, "Am I there yet?!" And I almost was...the finish line was in view!


I don't enjoy running. I'm just being honest here. It's a confession of sorts, I guess. I just run because I want to burn calories, and because it's a great time for me to talk to the Father in the mornings. And I don't particularly enjoy running when I'm surrounded by a lot of other sweaty people, either. But today as I was running my fastest toward the finish line, I found myself spurred on by those running around me and the encouragement of people lined up for the last tenth of a mile. And as that verse came to mind, and I thought about the deeper meaning of being surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, my mind filled with faces of people who have cheered me on over the years as I've been running this race of life.  So many people have said keep going, you're almost there, don't give up at such crucial times in my life, when I did want to give up, or when I wanted to do anything but persevere.  Maybe that is why we are supposed to run this race together. Because two are better than one, because we can help one another up when we fall.

Last night was a night for me to feel surrounded by such a wonderful cloud of loving friends and family. People who have helped me get to this point in my journey. Friends who are a crucial part of this journey with me. Brothers and sisters who are running with perseverance alongside of me, as we run for the joy set before us.

As I crossed the finish line of the 5K, I thanked the Father for those faces that filled my mind. The cloud of witnesses He has placed in my life.

Just some of the many sweet ones He has put in my life, who have showered me with blessings...
Sweet friends and supporters

My vocalist entourage who help me keep the rhythm and sing on key (most of the time!)

Old roomie and BS friend

My favorite cake-decorating sis

Neighbors and friends for as long as I can remember!

More fun BS friends!

One of my dearest friends (and her hubby and cutie-pie baby!)

Miss Heidi :)

My fashion-consultant, "asking" buddy and always-direct friend:)

Sensei and Lil Sensei :)

                                      
My beloved family (minus J and A here)

So I look forward to the next part of this race of life, turning the corner and anticipating something completely new and unfamiliar, fixing my eyes on Him. My heart is full of thanks for just how great the cloud is that surrounds me.

On a side note...This is me gearing up for my next "race" - I guess I need some work on throwing off everything that hinders...it really is harder to run with perseverance when you're encumbered with tons of stuff. Needless to say, I won't win the award for lightest packer!

3 comments:

  1. CGs stands for communication guidelines. If you need one, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! ptl! great pics. thanks for including me :) see you soon, sister. Until then, lifting you up from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great! We should run more 5Ks "together." :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete