Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A New Wave

I've heard it said that women who lose a child experience a physical ache to hold their child. I've never had kids, but I think I glimpsed a bit of that emotion last night. It came out of nowhere really. In fact, this whole week I had hardly even cried, and was a little bit suspicious of my own emotions that seemed to be so tame.

Then I decided to clear out the photos on my camera so that everytime I uploaded new ones I didn't have to delete the old ones. All of a sudden, as I was going through my old photos, ones like these...








...my heart just began to ache. My arms began to physically ache to hold the triplets. I can't really explain it and I don't really understand it, except that in that moment I felt one of the strongest physical and emotional aches I can ever remember. Maybe it's because we talked about transitional stress yesterday and our speaker talked about her own personal ache of leaving her nieces behind and how hard that was. Maybe it's because I'm fighting off sickness, so I'm just not feeling well in general. Or maybe it's just something my heart needs to feel. Perhaps I need to feel these emotions so that I remember...remember the ones I love so much that I leave behind. Remember to love on them from far away. Remember to lift them up to the Father every day and entrust them to His care, to know that His arms are never too far away to hold the ones I hold dear, and to hold me. He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart.

I think in some ways the emotions are starting to hit me now. It's not good or bad really, just inevitable. I think I felt especially lonely tonight 'cause most of my new friends were going to see a movie, but I had a sore throat and the aches so I stayed back and just rested. I was looking over the beautiful book my family gave me full of pictures from the last few years of friends and families and realized I hadn't read the notes my mom, dad, brother and sister wrote me before I left. But then I just couldn't bring myself to read them. I didn't feel ready to embrace that emotion yet, read those words that I knew would bring tears, even if they were good tears. I've never really experienced such a mixture of emotions before in my whole life - and though we've been told this week that this is normal - I guess I'm just learning to deal with it in waves. One wave at a time, or else it will knock me off my feet.

It seems right now the wave continues to involve the flood of emotions I feel by not being with the triplets and just the incredibly deep bond I had with them. Now, on the eve of the sabbath, I feel another wave - a wave of missing the body of brothers and sisters that mean so much to me. It's been a long time since I've missed OGC, I think. And tomorrow I will really feel that. I'm sure the time is coming too - probably when I can finally bring myself to read those letters - that the overwhelming wave of missing my family will hit me. I just don't think I'm ready for it yet.

Perhaps this seems like a downer. I really don't mean for it to seem that way. I guess the Father has always given me the "gift" of honesty and transparency, and as I continue on this journey, I want to give a true picture. There is incredible joy in the anticipation of what is ahead. I have been incredibly blessed by wonderful teammates and friends here. But there is another reality - the reality of leaving loved ones behind - the reality that there is sorrow in the midst of the joy, loss in the midst of gain, some tears in the midst of the excitement.

He knew it would be that way. And He meets me in both places. Paul said he was "sorrowful yet always rejoicing." I'm asking for that kind of heart as I ride the crazy, unpredictable waves of my emotions.

6 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and talking to Him about you today, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the ache you feel as well (last year when Evan moved out--and he didn't even move that far away!). These waves are bound to come and go, sometimes when you least expect them. Nothing wrong with you...the love of a mother (biological or not) for her child(ren) is nothing to be laughed at nor does it ever stop. We can only imagine how He loves us as children by knowing a bit of the suffering that parenting brings at times. It does take awhile to adjust. I'm glad I gave you a hankie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious pictures! And what precious memories you have to carry with you every step of the way - thoughts of those whom you love and those who love you. You may battle loneliness off and on all the time you are gone, but you will never truly be alone. You are surrounded by the love and prayers of many, many, many and you are nestled in the hand of the One who matters most of all. "Nona" (Mrs. Linduff)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you bunches. Partied too hard last night & ended up on a water slide at about 2am. See what happens when you are not around- I go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a strange first today... first Sunday not sitting next to you (knowing it will be awhile before I get to again) in almost 5 years. We do have a loving Father though whose arms are so comforting. We just talked about the ache of expectation and longing in our book study. We long for many things - and it reminds us that we have so much more to long for. Loving each post. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete