Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Lessons from Monsters, Inc.

Today was my last day of nannying for the triplets. Naturally, it was a rather hard day, so this morning, to try and distract myself from feeling so sad, I turned on Monsters, Inc. for the kids and I to watch. It was an effective diversion at first. In fact, William just snuggled sweetly in my lap for about the first 40 minutes. Then, as the movie went on and it came time to return "Boo" back to her door, I realized what a great choice I had made - I chose a movie that was all about someone (Sully, the monster) falling in love with a little kid (Boo) who changes the way he sees so many things, but that he has to say goodbye to at the end of the movie. Sheer brilliance on my part at that selection. I don't usually cry in animated movies, but the tears sure were rolling at the end of that one. 

But then I also had another thought. Everyone's heard the saying when one door closes, another door opens, which puts the focus on the next opportunity and the idea that there is something good waiting "out there". But while watching Monsters, Inc. (which in case it's been a while since you've watched Monsters, Inc., the movie focuses a lot on doors and the final 15 minutes document Sully's desperate search for Boo's door so that she can go back to her home) I realized that the reverse of that cliche is also true - when one door opens, another door closes. By walking through an open door, it is inevitable that you'll also be walking through a door that closes after you. It's just the reality of life. Open the door to college, you close the door on highschool. Open the door to having children, and you close the door on quietness and solitude! Open the door to marriage (still waiting for the right door here! ;), you close the door on singleness. And as I walk through the open door of teaching English this next year, it is just inevitable that I have to close the door on the nannying chapter of my life.

I think sometimes in the excitement of "the next thing," we sometimes forget what we're leaving behind. I know in my life I'm often looking to the future so much that I fail to absorb the present. But there is such a grieving process that occurs with the closing of a door, even if you are 100% sure that the timing is right and that you are following the Father's best. 

So, in honor of this sweet door closing in my life, I wanted to post some of my favorite pictures from the last 15 months! Enjoy :)


5 months old... before I was the nanny


an all-time fave

Ok, so picking up 3 at once is just impossible!

Before they had become conditioned to smile when the orange light came on

Traditional Japanese baby outfits
Going for a walk

 
Going for a walk in the cold!

Hanging out with the fam
Wink!

Charlie's organ lesson with Papa

Nanny photo shoot

Nap time!

First birthday party...cake!

Looking lovely, as always. That's my nanny "uniform" :)

Teaching Will how to read...using only the best literature (Carissa would be proud!)

He's since moved on to more impressive topics...Like Culture Shock! the book he's reading here

I was the most blessed nanny in the world...one call and this is the kind of entourage I was equipped with! :)

Getting a group pic has always been hard...even with many helpers!

 
It's a little bit easier when everyone's strapped in!

Trying to turn them into Gator fans

Checking out Carissa's and my halloween costume - Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Are those our roomates, mom?!

Photo shoot with KT Crabb

Kisses from Will...don't tell Carissa!

Charlie's amazing curls take 1
Take 2

The boys playing together on the roller coaster car.

Library trip with Ma and Pa

Trip to the Zoo with Titus 2 Moms

One big happy host family - with our Japanese student Natsuki in March

Easter Sunday

My 27th Birthday dinner - such a cute date!
  
Date with Kaitlyn at the mall

Date with Charlie to Green Meadows Farm (it was sooo hot)


Date with Will to UCF

Now for some candid shots at home...

 
 


 



Charlie pretending to be Kent from SYTYCD

Kaitlyn flexing her muscles


 
Will checking out the ladies' room

Kaitlyn wearing the boys' boxers on her head


Love from "Momma Mitchell"

 
 Will looking like such a stud

Charlie's a stud too!


Brainwashing the children to love their nanny, even when she's far away...
 

Yes, that's my picture he's kissing :)

It's exciting to look forward...to anticipate walking through the next door, the next chapter that the Father has written for my life. But, it's also a sweet sorrow, mingled with joy, to look back as the last door closes and to remember the sweet times, and cherish the memories.


My life has been forever changed. And I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this family's life for the past 15 months.

Three little "monsters"... swung the door of my heart wide open...and I will never be the same!



Looks like we'll all be going together!

3 comments:

  1. What cute monsters! Loved these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, LOVED the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always cry in Monsters Inc., too! Only you could find that deep, metaphorical meaning from an animated film and relate it to current circumstances. :) I love that about you.

    ReplyDelete