Here are some of the fun things we've done this week...
We went to the zoo that is nearby - the one we run in - and they have this interesting "activity" that you can do on the lake. At Lake Eola in Orlando they have swans you can ride in, and they have those here too, but for the more extreme experience, you can go in this huge hamster-ball thing and float around in the lake that way. We'd heard about it and seen pictures, so two of us decided to give it a whirl.
Here's me getting in
Christa getting in too...the ball is not inflated til you get in so it's really hard to squeeze in
Quite snug
Walking out to the lake. I really did feel like a hamster for all of 10 minutes. Those poor little creatures;)
The guy totally didn't wait for us to walk into the lake...he just gave us a big push and we rolled right in! As you can see, it's a little difficult to balance. Christa and I were trying to stand up at the same time here.
But we eventually gave up. What you can't see is the incredible amount of sweat pouring down our faces...it was like an oven in there! But, a fun experience nonetheless.
The next day, since it was raining (for the 3rd day in a row), we scratched our plans to go to the Botanical Gardens and opted for a massage instead. Beka, who is teaching in Vietnam, hooked us up with the place.
Here she is modeling the "pajamas" we had to put on. They were definitely not American size!
We had to do a little miss-matching because the sizes were a little off for us.
Here we are all dressed and ready for a massage. It was supposed to be a foot massage, but it ended up being basically a full body massage - all for about $7! Not a bad deal. And it was a great way to unwind after a week of lesson planning, observing and teaching!
Well, I better jet now. Leaving in T-minus 20 minutes and still need to finish packing. Next time I post I'll be in-country! :)
Sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteLove the hamster ball lake ride! I really want to do that!
Oh, you had to up me by 45 minutes with your morning wake-up time, huh? =P
Love you! Glad we could chat for a little bit this afternoon!
SO good to talk to you today. Had a great time with the kiddos and J and C. Dad and C went to the range after talking to you, then J and I played with the kids, took them out in the back to swing and did some sidewalk chalk. Goose did not want to stop swinging. She was so funny! The evening came to an end too quickly. Oh, how I miss them! Can't imagine how you must be feeling! Hope you had a safe trip. Talk to you soon.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
I used to own 48 hamsters in the 4th grade. ...hmm, maybe I should try this hamster ball activity so I can empathize with the "poor little creatures" I apparently mistreated for so long. ;)
ReplyDeleteSo glad we could squeeze in a massage before you left. Bummer we didn't get to the Botanical Gardens, maybe Thailand will have some awesome gardens (and less rain)!
Take care, Julia. I will be lifting you up before the Father, my sister.
Didn't see a comment option for your going to Viet nam blog, so will use this one.
ReplyDeleteWow, your hamster ball ride on the lake was interesting! Good for you to take advantage of the unique fun things there. The massage is a way wonderful bargain..so glad you had that too!!
Can't wait for your next update,
love
patty m
Oh, the hamster ball ride is such a hoot! We just saw those for the first time at the county fair last weekend... they had a huge pavillion pool set up for the kids, and they all got in them and rammed into each other like "bumper cars." Our favorite was one little guy who just stretched out on his back with his legs crossed and arms folded beneath his head - like king of the world inside his own little hamster ball. And, water was just dripping down the insides of the balls. Too funny! I'll bet it was quite and experience to be in one on a lake! Maybe we should get them for your next visit here to MudBay, now that you're the family expert! ha!
ReplyDeleteThat whole body massage for 7 dollars sounds amazing, too, in spite of the teeny pajamas! :)
A hamster ball ride AND a full body massage. I'd call that quite a day! Keep the posts comin' . . . I love 'em!
ReplyDeleteKathy H
soo jealous of the $7 massage. Take advantage of that stuff. Once a week, right? :)
ReplyDelete