Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Being Alone

I've always heard that you learn new (often unexpected) things about yourself when you are in a new culture. I guess some things just stay masked or unnoticed until our world is turned upside down and we're in a completely new place, both figuratively and literally.

Well, one of those things I've learned about myself is this: I hate being alone. And not only do I not like it, I'm not good at it either. It's been a bit of a joke these last three weeks, actually. On the airplane ride over, I was sitting off in a separate section from the rest of the team. Of all the girls here at training, I'm the only one with my own room. I'm one of two auditing the courses, so sometimes if there needs to be an odd-one-out for an activity or something, it is usually one of us. Ok, so this probably sounds like I'm soliticing your pity, I'm really not. I'm just setting the stage for you to understand how the Father has been teaching me about being alone. In each of these situations, I've seen the Father's hand and provision. But I can't say that I've always been enjoying it.

Take this afternoon for instance. After getting back from a busy morning of doing "touristy" stuff around Hanoi (more to come on that later), I went back to my room to rest/work/etc. But I just felt this heaviness. This aloneness weighing me down. Even though I'd just been around a bunch of people for the last 5 hours. I just kept asking myself, "Why do I hate being alone so much?"  I feel like it is something the Father is prodding me about. Do I avoid the quiet place? Because often that is where He speaks the loudest. Do I crave the company of others more than I crave His presence? Am I looking to the seen and tangible things to bring the comfort that comes from Him? Do I believe it when He says, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you" even if it doesn't feel like it?

Feeling alone in a foreign country probably makes everything more pronounced. I mean, it's not like I can hop into my car and run to Target. You know, get me some retail therapy. I can't just go for a walk in my neighborhood...it's  motorbike obstacle course out there. Nor can I just pick up the phone and call my mom and tell her I wish she was here with me. There's no yummy chocolate to munch on. The many things that I run to are gone. Poof. Nowhere to be found. And it leaves me feeling empty. It leaves me with an ache. It reminds me of words I read a few months ago in our Ladies' BS book called, "The Beautiful Ache." What if you denied the urge to fill the crevice or crater-like space it (the ache) makes with activity or noise or food or drink - and simply sat with it awhile?...The beautiful ache points us beyond. It is not meant to be ignored.

Life is really different here. Obviously. But there is a constant no matter what country we go to, or what language is being spoken...the One who created us all; He is here just as surely as He was there. I may feel alone, but I am not alone. Sometimes though, that just doesn't feel like enough and I'm just wanting to believe before I feel.  I was reading The Valley of Vision yesterday, and this phrase really struck me: Help me to honor Thee by believing before I feel, for great is the sin if I make feeling a cause of faith.

3 comments:

  1. Saying sweet things about you to your Beloved. :)
    I'm spending the whole day alone, and it's a bitter reminder of the four people who have just moved away. :( I'm not sure what I'll do after I practice piano. That only lasts a few hours. Perhaps He is giving me time to think and process before school starts on Monday. Thanks for the reminder that He meets us in the quiet, and that this ache is often a blessing.
    Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be thinking about this heavily, Julia, hoping that those alone moments will turn into times of intimate closeness with Him, where you will have peace of heart and lightness of soul.

    Learning to be alone but not lonely is a continual process, a lifetime work-in progress to free our minds and hearts of clutter and embrace the Perfect stillness.

    Such a lovely quote you shared from the BS Book. Letting the ache have its space and run its course, instead of trying to stifle it or crowd it out, goes against our human nature. But the glorious intimacy that comes about in the resulting stillness puts lonliness back in perspective - what has once seemed to consume or overshadow the core of our being is suddenly illuminated for what it is - temporary.

    It's easy for us as bystanders to see what is being done in your life, how you are being prepared and honed into a perfect instrument to carry out the tasks that have been set before you. Please know that you are not in this journey alone, although lonliness may at times seem to be a consuming fire. Walking through it can be a glorious thing... the One who knows you best will touch your heart in ways that no one else can :)

    Know that you know all of this... but thanks for allowing me to say it again anyway :)
    You are amazing - hope you realize that! Will be thinking about all of these things on your behalf, and trust that you will gain more joy from this than you have ever dreamed possible.

    Love, Aunt C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkee & Tiger are on the way to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete