Well, the long anticipated day arrived on Sunday (I meant to update earlier, but we have to pay for WIFI at our hotel and I'm cheap like my dad so...)
Here we are on the plane - the girls from Team Lao - Julia, Christa and Elise
I was trying to be artistic here...and trying to distract myself from the landing of the plane.
Nokia welcoming us
Our plane touched down and after 4+ weeks of nomadic living, we're finally in the country that will be home for the next year or so. I say in the country because we're still not quite settled. During language school - which is for the next 3+ weeks - we are staying at a guest house in the city. It's a really nice place and we all have our own rooms. Here's a picture of mine (before I organized everything).
This is part of my bathroom. It's kinda hard to tell from here, but the toilet, shower and sink are all in the same room and there is no distinction or barrier. You just shower right there on the tile and then the water drains down into the corner. It's very interesting and you have to put the water on low pressure or else it shoots right at the door. But, after some strategizing I think I figured out the system.
This place is called That Luang...It's about a five minute walk from our guest house. We went for a stroll down there one night. A bunch of guys were playing soccer in the parking lot and the sun was hitting the golden building so beautifully as it was setting for the night.
Cool sunset. Hanoi was so smoggy that it had been a while since we saw a beautiful sunset like this. How refreshing even something so small can be!
Christa and Elise with the sun setting in the background (and some soccer games too)
Our team leader, Corky, asking the price of the roasted chicken. We went to a night market right by That Luang and it was awesome - so many different kinds of food cooked right there and you can buy whatever you want. We ended up getting one of the chickens - the whole thing for about $4!
Here are Christa and Elise trying to figure out what we bought. Corky told us that the things wrapped in banana leaves contained rice with some sort of extra thing (coconut, beans, etc). But when we opened it up, it didn't really look like rice. And when we tasted it, it didn't really taste like rice. We found out later it was actually raw pork that had been soaked in something. Yeah, good thing we went with our instincts and didn't take more than a bite.
Here's a pic of the vendors at the night market. There were probably about 40 different vendors with their umbrellas or pop tents and delicious food beckoning to the hungry consumers.
Well, I will write more later. I really got behind on updating my blog because of the internet access, but I will share more about language school and our language buddies next time.
Phop kan mai
(that means, see you soon) :)
It's great to see your post! I love the bathroom picture. I think it is brilliant. You can shower and clean the toilet at the same time. :) Can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful view of That Luang - lovely sunset! Wow... how exciting to have arrived! Your home for the next few weeks looks wonderful - nice and spacious. (What is that against the wall? A fridge or a cabinet or heater?)
ReplyDeleteThe bathroom situation sounds like it was a source of amusement at first - glad you figured out how to shower without flooding the rest of the rooms! Sounds like you've got great water pressure, though :)
The night market looks like fun, and that grilled chicken looks SOOoooooo good! Glad you didn't partake of the raw pork in great amounts, however. (What is in the green basket? Are those cinnamon sticks?)
"Thinking of you," Love Aunt C.
You are quite a good photographer! I can feel like I'm right there looking at the sights with you.
ReplyDeleteGlad you have a nice room - and you certainly have a very interesting bathroom.
Looking forward to your next update.
I am grateful that you had a good trip. Your room in the guest house looks delightful! The market looks very interesting . . . I am sure you will be adventurous and eat lots of different things.
ReplyDeleteYou are missed and loved!
Susan - that's a good idea. Actually, when they clean my room they just spray everything down in the bathroom and when I come back the floor is soaking wet (and I usually produce muddy prints then!)
ReplyDeleteAunt C - that's a fridge. Currently it is stocked with lots of yummy fruit that we bought at the market yesterday, some cream cheese, peanut butter and jelly and bread (I raided the foreign grocery store to get a taste of home!:)
What a great way for you to see the world! Kathy sent me your blog link and I am amazed you are in Laos! I was born and raised in Laos until my family and I immigrated to the states in 1981. I am so glad you are trying all the different foods! Have you had sticky rice or kao meow? My son LOVES it with grilled chicken wings! Thank you, Julia for sharing your experiences with us! I hope to have the opportunity to return to my village again soon.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading your next posts!
Po (Kathy's friend)
I miss you a lot today! These pictures are great for visual learners (like me!). Keep 'em coming!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Buzz
Julia - thanks for the glimpse into your new life! Our bathroom looks similar. Adelle in her ingenuity rigged a shower curtain with twine between the rack and the window to contain the water. I have grown quite fond of our new setup. I hope you can function well in your new surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking for you - have you been able to catch a breath yet, or are you all still in "group mode"? We have all expressed so many changes in the way we live in VN, but one thing that keeps giving me encouragement is that those who have gone before us keep their eyes on the One they trusted-the One who sustains us for His Namesake. Please let me know if there is anything else I can be thinking for you.
Love,
Beka
It is so interesting reading your posts... got your blog address from Jill. I forwarded it to my friend Po who is from there. Keep posting!
ReplyDeletePop kan mai! I recognize that from thailand :) Hey, hope you're doing great. i've done horrible at keeping up w/ your blog. so i'm catching up now. I'm traveling all next week. We'll have to skype soon.
ReplyDelete