Yesterday was the Thanksgiving Party that Christa and I had for our students. Some of Friday and much of Saturday was spent in the kitchen - my favorite place (though it's much hotter here than in the States because Lao ovens aren't insulated!)! - preparing food, food and more food. On Friday I made a new recipe - Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they turned out really well I think and were a hit with the students.
Here they are baking in the oven. Mmmm...
We also made Apple Crisp...Christa bought about 6 kilos (~13 lbs) of apples! We peeled and chopped and peeled and chopped!
Here is the deliciousness. It was pretty much the biggest pan of apple crisp I've ever seen.
Preparing food together for a party is a really common part of Lao culture (unlike America where you usually have everything ready before the guests come!) so some of my students came early to help. We taught them how to make mashed potatoes. More peeling and chopping, but much easier with so many people. As my mother used to say, "Many hands make light work". I think we made about 5-6 kilos (11-13lbs) of potatoes too!
You can't really see in this picture, but the students are showing off their turkey drawings. We asked them to help us draw a turkey to use for our game - Pin the Tail on the Turkey.
Dinner time! Here are some of my students (l-r: Yeryang - in the background, Thippachan, Sylicone and Sonexay) going through the buffet line.
These are the students from my class who came, minus one. We had chicken instead of turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. I don't think they really liked the texture of the mashed potatoes, but in general it was really fun to share our traditional holiday food with them. I also never realized how much Americans like their food mushed up...mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes in the sw. pot. casserole, corn casserole is rather mushy and soft, and stuffing is too. Guess there are somethings you never think about til you see it from another point of view.
Here I am with Sonexay (pronounced sone-sai) and Tam, two girls from my class. The beanie baby turkey was a big hit with all the students and they really wanted a picture with him. It's interesting how things that would seem silly or childish to many college students in America are a big hit over here. I find it kinda refreshing.
Class picture with Mr. Turkey. I know these are just faces to you because you've never had the privilege of meeting these sweet students, but they are quickly finding their way into my heart! I long for them to know the One who found His way into my heart!
Here are some of Christa's students being silly and fun for a picture.
Christa and some of her students. It's been fun to get to know her students better through various parties and activities.
Sylicon, Thippachan, Palinya and Tem making tails for our game of Pin the Tail on the Turkey.
The sleeping mask my mom sent me came in handy for our game - it was a perfect blindfold. Christa is spinning Mr. Lampoon here in preparation for his attempt at pinning the tail on the turkey.
So close!
This is the turkey Christa and some of the students made together, adorned with all the tails our students pinned on it.
Mrs. Phetsamai - one of Christa's students - likes to paint nails so towards the end of the party she did our nails for us with the national flower of Lao - the Dok Champa.
Looks like you had a lot of fun! So glad you've been able to use your cooking skills over there. It's their gain and our loss. Thinking of you always!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
Looks like such a wonderful time, Julia. Never thought about our Thanksgiving traditional dishes that way, but you are right! Mushy! Love Mr. Turkey, pin the tail on the turkey, your fancy nails, and must know.... what are pumpkin whoopie pies? Nice to see a picture of your Lao teachers, too. Thanks for sharing these moments with us all :)
ReplyDelete