For a few months now, I've been hoping and "thinking" about moving out closer to our university. Right now it takes about 25-30 minutes by motorbike to get to school. That's not a bad ride, especially when you have a motorbike, but it's been somewhat difficult to have students over because many of them do not have motorbikes. So, I started "thinking" about moving out near the university and it seems the Father has made a way. Two girls are moving into our old house to take over the rent, and LW (that's for you, PC!...translation for everyone else, L-willing) Christa and I will move into our new place next week. Please be thinking about us as we take care of the last details and will hopefully sign the papers on Friday of this week. I say hopefully becaus this is Lao, and you just never know what might come up, but we are trusting that if this is the Father's new place for us, He will take care of all those difficult details (like figuring out a Lao lease!).
Our hope is to be able to have students come over to our home more regularly, especially during the week to play games, practice English, learn how to make American food, etc. In the Fall, we are hoping to add to our home with another foreign teacher and some Lao roomates too, which will be really great for practicing Lao on a more regular basis.
Here's a picture of the house...
Can you guess how much a place like this costs per month?
In the States, probably over $1,000. In Laos, after all our negotiating, it will cost about $410 per month. That's total, not even per person! Pretty sweet deal. I don't know if you can see, but abover the "garage" there is a huge veranda that's big enough to host a dinner party or something under the stars (maybe not in these months since there are sooooooooooo many mosquitos. When we were negotiating with the landlords to screen the windows, my teammate Heather explained the importance by saying, "Nyung kat Julia lai." That means, "Mosquitos bite Julia a lot," which is so true. When I'm around, no one else needs bug spray, because the mosquitos are always eating me. Actually, I'm being feasted upon in my office, even as I write this! We also have a big, beautiful yard which is perfect for the Easter Egg Hunt I'm envisioning in my mind for next month's party. So, feel free to send Easter eggs this way! ;)
I'll keep you updated, and would so appreciate your thoughts as we navigate the waters of becoming house renters in Laos!
No comments:
Post a Comment