Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Power Outage

For some reason, around 6:00 last evening, a bunch of houses on our street lost power. Pretty random. I mean, usually that only happens if a substantial hurricane hits (and even then, we've only lost power once). I was at growth group when it happened, and came home around 10:45 to a street shrouded in darkness and the hum of power trucks across the street. Putting the key in the key hole was a struggle because it was so stinkin' dark. When I walked in, the house was totally black with the exception of a lone candle on the desk by the door. I walked in to say hi to Jill and Charles and was shocked at how muggy and hot it felt in their room. All of a sudden it clicked - oh yeah, A/C is run by electricity. Ok, that sounds obvious, but living in the U.S. we never really have to think about that. We just push a button and the A/C comes on, or flick a switch and, voila, let there be light. It is instinctive and second nature. Well, I made it to my room by candlelight and was continually surprised as I went through my bedtime routine of just how often I am dependent on electrical power. Brush teeth and wash face by candlelight. Set alarm by candlelight (which didn't go so well - I didn't see that my alarm was set for p.m. so I overslept this morning!). Think about turning on air purifier...no, can't do that either. Update my facebook status so the whole world knows I don't have power...um, need power to do that. Negatory. Walk out to kitchen for my nightly cup of water. Oh yeah, the fridge is off so the water dispenser on it doesn't work either.

As I lay in bed, wearing the coolest clothes possible and minimal covers since it was so hot, I started thinking about just how spoiled I am living in the U.S. where we never have to think about these kinds of things. Things that are daily realities for people in other countries. And, it made me wonder how often this happens in the place where I'll be going. Maybe it sounds funny, but it was actually kind of fun doing things by candlelight. I felt like a little kid again. But I don't think I would have that same kind of spirit about it if I had to deal with it every day. It made me realize how much I take for granted, and how rarely I appreciate the little luxuries in my life. I want to have a heart of gratitude. And an attitude that readily adjusts when my conveniences turn into inconveniences. Especially as I look towards spending a year in a "developing" country - may my spoiled, blessed life in America not taint my attitude as I adjust to a new way of life, and learn to be flexible, whether in plenty or in want. To do all things through Him who strengthens His children.

Around midnight I awoke to a faint humming noise and realized my air purifier had turned on. Gradually, my sleepy brain computed that my fan was spinning too. The power was back on, after a mere six hours.

2 comments:

  1. Im afraid I flunked this lesson when our power was out for 8 days after Hurricane Charley a few years ago. It would certainly be an adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Jillian, you could be a Pioneer! :D

    Maybe I could, too, because I'm getting plenty of practice with the lack of A/C in my car!

    ReplyDelete