Those who have never been told of Him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Time Away

This week I took a few days off to just get away. Since I officially committed to teach overseas in early April, it feels like life has been a hurricane of activity, a whirlwind of logistics and I've just been trying my best to stay afloat. Between working 45 hours a week, scheduling and going to what seems like a zillion doctor appointments (really it's only like 6), contacting people to share about what I'll be doing, and just trying to maintain somewhat of a normal social life, it's been rather exhausting. I'm not complaining...it's been good. And it's been sweet to see His hand working so clearly in my life.

 But time away is also good. Especially when it involves going to the place I like to call "heaven on earth" - Anna Maria Island. My great aunt and uncle live in Bradenton and I'm spending a few days with them, just relaxing, soaking in the sun (it's always interesting to see the places you've missed when applying sunscreen...random blotches on my neck and ankle today), running on the beach, and spending time in the Word - somehow  He always seems closer to me when I'm outside enjoying His creation. Ah, time away is sweet. Basking in the glory of His creation is sweet. The heavens declare His glory, the skies proclaim the works of His hands.

Arrived last night in time to see the sunset. Ate my Subway on the beach as the sun drifted into the sea.  Crazy thought - as it disappeared from my sight, it was probably just coming into view in my future home.


Uncle Irvin invited me to join him for lunch today - he meets with some other men for Wednesday lunch, so I joined them. His friend ended up offering to let me hang out at his beach house that afternoon since he and his wife would be gone. Ah, what a special treat!

Here's the view I had all afternoon!

I decided to focus on reading through one particular book while I was away, and since I enjoyed my study of Haggai these past few weeks, I decided to read another rarely-heard-of minor prophet. 


The OT is awesome, and I don't know why I've always thought those smaller books were written in language that was too hard to understand and just didn't apply to me. The second verse stopped me in my tracks. "I have loved you," says the L. But you say,"How have you loved us?" Wow, those words, I have loved youI have loved you. I have loved you. Then the response by the people, How? show us how... That is so like me. The Father has gone to the greatest lengths possible to show His love, yet how often do I ask, But, how do you love me? I need to know how... I guess that's why hundreds of years later Paul wrote that he was asking the Father to give them the power to understand just how wide and long and high and deep the Father's love is. It's obvious, but so hard to wrap the mind around and so hard to walk in that reality day by day. Apparently Israel needed a reminder back then, and I needed one today.  Somehow this sweet view of the Gulf was just another small reminder.

5 comments:

  1. Anna Maria Island is beautiful--and I'm not even very fond of the beach! I'm so glad you're getting to spend this "time away," but we'll miss you on our roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO thankful for you, my precious daughter!!!!!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm changing my mind about staying there a bit after the triathlon. I'd forgotten how gorgeous is it there!
    No wonder you didn't want to come home early! Still wish you were going to TN with us! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift to be able to spend time in the quiet for a bit before you leave.

    Psa. 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD;
    And He will give you the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMI is an incredible retreat. I'm glad you could enjoy time away! :) Thanks for sharing so openly about your sweet moments with Him. The pictures are a glorious reminder as well of His love and creation.

    ReplyDelete