Yesterday was just one of those days. One of those days where I thought, what am I doing here?! As many of you know, we've battled ants and ants and more ants in our house (along with a few other species of small crawling things) and yesterday was like WWIII with the ants. Here you can see they have created an ant hill inside our house. This is in our kitchen in one of the corners.
Here is the cupboard, emptied of its contents for the third time since moving here due to my favorite little creatures.
Oh, and did I mention that our kitchen faucet was also broken? The water pressure was too intense and the other day it just catapulted right off the spigot and onto the floor. So we couldn't wash the ant-infested dishes in the sink...So we resorted to Lao style dish washing - outside and rinsing in basins of water. Not too terrible, but for this lazy American, rather back-breaking! I'm just so spoiled, and it's days like these that really make me aware of that!
We decided to launch a pre-emptive strike with the ants and seal up all their hideouts. So here Sone is filling in the crevices with a cement paste. Hopefully this will keep them out of our house (at least for a few days!)
More cement paste in the cubpoard...
Another view of the mountain of dishes waiting to be washed.
Here's our faucet...do you see the stream launching out to the left side, in addition to what is coming out of the faucet? Had a few unexpected showers today from our wacky faucet!
It was kinda funny, because we went to dinner while the cement was drying (I didn't want to eat at home and make any more dishes!) and I was just telling Sone how this is just one of those days that makes me realize things here are so very different than things in the States. I think I had forgotten how different until I went back for the summer. It's not even like I long for the ease and comforts or even really miss them, because I know I'm right where the Father wants me to be.
But today was just one of those days where I wish I could've called Terminex or something and with a snap of my fingers, eradicated the problem. I think that's how I am with so much of life. I just want to call Terminex of the heart and have every struggle quickly and neatly taken away, every fleshly instinct gone with the snap of my fingers. Instead, the Father calls me to get on my knees, get a little dirty and let Him fill the holes of my heart where the invaders keep coming in.
Wow, when I started writing this, I didn't plan on it being philosophical at all, or having any sort of deeper analogy, but then it just sort of happened. Hmm, something for me to chew on I guess, as I learn to be patient with the way my life is here, and the way my heart is no matter where I am.








Ha ha. Parallel worlds. I have been battling ants all weekend! I keep attacking them as well and finding creative ways to get rid of them, but I feel like they are everywhere! I'm about ready to wash every clothing item I own and spray every possible entry-way. But you're right, because I could (and did) call my landlord and he came to add his techniques to my battle. I found that this helped me to let go of some of my stuff. I'm trying to get rid of stuff anyway, but it's a lot easier when something is infested with ants to just say, "I don't really need this - to the dumpster!"
ReplyDeleteLots of food for thought here, Julia. Am sorry about your ant problem, however. They are pesky little critters, aren't they?
ReplyDelete