Lao New Year is upon us...whether I'm ready or not. We have a week off of school (which here in Laos really stretches into a week and a half or so!) so it's a good chance to travel. This past weekend Christa and I went with some of my students to Khammuan, a province about 6 hours south of Vientiane. Originally I thought only one of my students lived there, but it turns out that 4 of them do, so we had a lot of fun seeing the sites together. We started out in Vientiane on Saturday afternoon and took the bus for about 6 hours.
Nouy (Sone's little sis), Christa, Sone and I on the bus
The perfect traveling companion for a long bus ride.... 
One of the best parts of the ride was talking with Sone. We had a really honest conversation about where she's at right now in regards to what she believes. It was a little hard to hear, but so good to just be able to talk openly and honestly. I know the Father is working in her heart because she's been really pondering the essential things of life and I'm asking Him to continue pursuing her heart!
One of the best parts of the ride was talking with Sone. We had a really honest conversation about where she's at right now in regards to what she believes. It was a little hard to hear, but so good to just be able to talk openly and honestly. I know the Father is working in her heart because she's been really pondering the essential things of life and I'm asking Him to continue pursuing her heart!
Thipphachanh's mom gave us all jewelry (she sells it as a side job), and she gave Christa and I some real bling. Here Christa and Nouy are modeling their bling
The first place we went on Sunday was to the temple. They wanted to worship before going in....
This is one of the hardest things for me about Lao culture...what to say and how to politely decline participating. Sone is really helpful with that though since she knows why we cannot join in. It is also heart-breaking for us to see and makes me long to see the Father move in a mighty way in this place. I read this again the other day, and it comes to mind every time I experience this with my friends here...Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. Oh my hope is that they will know True Hope and put their trust in One who is not made of human hands, Who has a mouth that sings over His beloved; Eyes that move to and fro throughout the earth to strengthen the hearts of His children. Ears that hear their cries, hands that hold us and shape us; feet that crush the head of the serpent; hands and feet that were pierced for our own heart idolatry.
This is one of the hardest things for me about Lao culture...what to say and how to politely decline participating. Sone is really helpful with that though since she knows why we cannot join in. It is also heart-breaking for us to see and makes me long to see the Father move in a mighty way in this place. I read this again the other day, and it comes to mind every time I experience this with my friends here...Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. Oh my hope is that they will know True Hope and put their trust in One who is not made of human hands, Who has a mouth that sings over His beloved; Eyes that move to and fro throughout the earth to strengthen the hearts of His children. Ears that hear their cries, hands that hold us and shape us; feet that crush the head of the serpent; hands and feet that were pierced for our own heart idolatry.
Group photo in front of the statue
Worshipping inside the temple. I hope these pictures will help capture for you the reality of Laos. This is what they grow up doing, and it's all they've ever known. Lighting incense, making merit, paying money in the temple...
We rode around all day in Sadsada's pick up truck (with Sone driving because he couldn't drive a manual!). After the temple we went to a famous cave that was surrounded by gorgeous scenery.
Nouy, Sone and I crossing the bridge to the cave
We had a picnic by the river. Viphakhone (nickname Sing) and Thipphachanh are enjoying some watermelon
Went on a boat ride (we were a little afraid it would sink with the weight of two foreigners, but it survived and so did we!)
Christa and I got really sunburned from driving around in the sun all day (the Lao people hide under jackets, while we try to catch as much sun as possible!)
Our trip was a really nice time experiencing a new place (the weather there was so much cooler and more pleasant than here!! Maybe I should teach there!). And it was fun to spend time in another one of my students' homes. Tomorrow we're off to Vang Vieng for 2 days and then I'm spending the rest of the holiday at Sone's house. I think it will be three days of going to Lao New Year parties, pouring water, drinking Pepsi (for me...the substitute for Beer Lao) and lots of loud music. If you're "thinking" of me, please be asking the Father for an extra dose of love, thankfulness and endurance as this is probably not the most preferred method of celebrating a holiday for this American. But I want to embrace (as much as I can!) Lao culture in this week, even though I'm convinced the reason they enjoy it so much more than I do is because of all the alcohol coursing through their veins! At our university's New Year party today, one of my teammates said , "It sure would be nice to have some beer to take the edge off." But alas, we have Someone greater to help us as we seek to "become all things to all men" for the purpose of reflecting His character. Some days that's a lot harder to do than others, and this week I'm asking for Extra Help as I experience Lao culture on an even deeper level.
Stay tuned...
Honey, if I were you I'd be all over that Beer Lao!
ReplyDelete